Dark pleasures

Dark pleasures

After quite a long time preparing for the Academy Day, I felt like a short break from archviz. I also felt a little hungry. These three pieces are the outcome of these combined impulses. I delved into my food-styling inspiration folder and tried to come up with something that would evoke a cosy, warm autumn feel.

The modeling was mainly done in 3ds Max, with a little bit of ZBrush on top. All rendered in V-Ray 3 Beta.

Dark pleasures

Dark pleasures

Below the Raw Total Lighting passes out of V-Ray as a cheap substitute for Clay renders (add these to the beauty pass in post with a “soft light” blending mode for a deep contrasty feel – thanks to Zac Arato for the great tip).

ClayAnd a wire straight from the Max viewport:

Wire

Glad this is sorted. And thanks a lot for the kind words.

2. valwizard wrote:

Thank you, Thomas! It was a font size changing problem, since I got a bigger screen. What can I say, your last work, Bertrand just left me wordless. It is not a visualization thing but a piece of art, in the same range as oil paint masters, Heda, Kalf, etc. Looking at your art pieces I am getting so motivated, and my eyes open wider. Brilliant!

I will look into this. In the meantime, you can see all images in my Flickr stream.

4. ThomasC wrote:

@valwizard: I have the same problem occuring when viewing BBB3viz blog with Firefox. But when I switch to Chrome it works fine. I am not sure, but it may be related to windows default font size: if you changed it, I recommend you to reset it to its default settings and see if your problem’s gone.
    @Bertrand: marvelous set of images as usual. I love the way you play with light. Do you use VRay RT for preview purposes ?

5. valwizard wrote:

The content is hidden, all pages http://s20.postimg.org/c4h7xtvod/BBB3.jpg. Strange thing – I tried to get access from my mobile and it works only when I have signed out from Google account. But sadly doesn’t work from my pc and laptop even when I am signed out. Any guess, please, as I am really your big fan and especially got excited about your last art work- I am referring about your Dark Pleasures and still life as is a deeper exploration of fundamental art through modern tools. Any thoughts will help.

Mmmh, valwizard, what do you mean exactly? No one’s been banned…

7. valwizard wrote:

Fantastic work, I suppose. I only suppose because I am not able to see your art and reed your articles. Am I banned somehow? Sorry to post my question here, I did not find any other methods to contact you otherwise.

8. archi3d wrote:

HI Bertrand, i’m your great fan! love your work and i thank you for the tips of the Vray Raw Total Lighting pass, only one question, can i exlude glass object from this pass? in your image the glass is exluded? please can you explain that? thank you very much!

Hi guys, here is some additional info on these images.

The wood in the chocolate pie scene has a normal map. These are large textures at 8000 pixels wide. To create normal maps, I use Pixplant, a Photoshop plugin. The only object with displacement here is the pie’s crust. The rest is mostly normal maps or bump. All objects are unwrapped, which is a must for this kind of scene.

The outline around the pear in the “brown” image is a shadow. For this image, I modeled a basic ring flash around the camera as i wanted to add some frontal lighting and highlight. All images are lit with and HDRI but this one is the only one that has additional light sources, mainly for highlights: the ring flash and a warm softbox on the right. There are also basic shapes blocking the light around the scene (outside the camera field of view) to get better control on shadow areas.

I did not use the progressive mode for these images. But I use it all the time for test images. I would find it hard to do without it these days.

I used BF/LC for these. Stuck in my old ways…

10. Federico wrote:

Hi Bertrand, congrats again for this amazing work, I really like the chiaroscuro style.
    Do you still use BF + LC? or do you start to use BF at primary and secondary bounces with Vray 3? thanks

11. yeungsammy2002 wrote:

Very great work!!!!. I could notice that the surface of the wooden table are very decent. I just wonder if there is only apply a simple bump map, normal map or the whole table is apply vray displacement method and uv unwrapping modifier. I think the whole scene are too dark…even though the renders are very good.

12. adamFFKR wrote:

Bertrand,

What method do you use for creating your normal maps?

13. Hi Bertrand, great images as always. I noticed on the second image a darker outline around the pears, is that effect wanted? Also, did you use the progressive mode in vray 3 beta on these ones? If so any info on times that you want to share with us.

Cheers !

14. gpz wrote:

congratulations. Amazing work.
    One question. Did you use vraydisplacement modi for the wood?

thanks

15. art-MIXER wrote:

Looks very tasty)
    Tell me about lighting, used here only HDRi or Highlight reflected additional sources of light?

16. Pavel wrote:

Aaa… Finally)

17. Matt_Cooke wrote:

Congrats on your new renders. The first and third are most remarkable. I feel that the 2nd image is the weaker of the trio as it has less depth. Once again, great work and thanks for sharing!