White and green

Whiterosesandgreen_S

When it comes to modeling, there are quite a few things I keep struggling with over and over. One of them is flowers, which just seem to take forever to model and never look quite right – yet they are hard to do without when doing a lot of interior work. I keep at it, though. I had a mixed encounter with a bouquet of roses in a vase a while back. More recently, my experience with a bunch of hydrangea left me more satisfied, which is why it also found its way there.

A few days ago, I found myself flicking through the portfolio of Russian photographer Alina Lankina and came across a nice photo of white roses in a dark green scheme. Unlike some of her more complex arrangements, it was not only appealing but also something I thought could be emulated in CG in a relatively short time. I didn’t quite end with the same shot, but as an exercise in floral modeling, it was worth the effort and I’m reasonably happy with it. The scene is a five-minute setup with a couple of older props and some fabric simulation. Curious what you all make of it.

Below a clay render and a wireframe.

White and Green - Clay Render

White and Green - Wireframe

1. Great effort. We normally end up photoshopping in flowers as our model collection is lacking and rarely find decent models online to purchase.

What are you using for your cloth simulations these days? It looks rather good.

2. Zain wrote:

Looks good, I feel the flowers are bit waxy!

3. austris wrote:

I know what you mean about flowers being difficult to model.

It’s obvious you put a lot of effort in the petals, but in the end, I think, they still look a bit “off”. If you compare them to the reference photo, you’ll see that the original has a lot of tiny but sharp creases/folds along the edges of the petals, while the 3d version has a lumpier and softer look with larger waves/lumps of similar size. I think the “fractal” aspect of nature is missing – the folds are too similar in size.
    It’s probably a natural side effect of subdivision modeling, when most of the detailing is done on the same level.

The green leaves, however, look quite good!

Thanks Jarek. That’s very useful.

5. Jarek W wrote:

Looks great!
    Here are a few things that come to my mind.

1. The petals seem made out of textiles or paper. There seems to be no water. Try adding watery featurs (reflaction/refraction) into the veins and a bit less of it in the petals.
    2. The texture of veins is not really visible. Maybe because of the post. I do see it though looking at the closeup.
    3. There needs to be more variation in shadows. When I look at some flowers the shadows between petals are almost black. However, Adding more shadows may spoil the light going through the petals. I guess that is a tricky one :)
    4. The petal that fell on the table could use some squashing but that is really a design decision. Yet, I get the feeling it would not “springy” or “elastic” after it touched the table.

Thanks guys. Yes, there is still room for improvement. The petals actually have a “broken white” diffuse texture applied. If you look closely, there is a slight pinkish gradient fading from the base of the petal. I fear a lot of it disappeared in the post-pro though, when I lifted the contrast quite a bit.

7. mark wrote:

Hi….congrats on your overall work- it’s a huge inspiration. Also your tutorials and how-tos…thank you for everything!!

I agree with Evan. The white is just to perfect. Also the front apple seems to be floating somehow (it’s standing on its narrowest point- in reality it would propably roll over). Otherwise terrific!

Greetings:)

8. Evan wrote:

Looks great. Most white roses tend to lean towards a buttery yellow in the center, even if very very subtle. These look too perfect in their whiteness, but lovely.

9. Geza Kadas wrote:

Good work.
    I see what you mean Bertrand… It is hard to catch the small colour variation of these white roses with all the softness and small wrinkles on them.
    Flowers and plants are really a tough thing to model :) never had the mood to do some for production work.

10. Wow realy so great..!!! you are the master congratulation =)

11. ZHIC wrote:

“and never look quite right”
    …are you saying these flowers above don’t look right? O.O

12. Steve wrote:

think they look great geometry wise, maybe some SSS though?

13. saeed amiri wrote: