When it comes to modeling, there are quite a few things I keep struggling with over and over. One of them is flowers, which just seem to take forever to model and never look quite right – yet they are hard to do without when doing a lot of interior work. I keep at it, though. I had a mixed encounter with a bouquet of roses in a vase a while back. More recently, my experience with a bunch of hydrangea left me more satisfied, which is why it also found its way there.
A few days ago, I found myself flicking through the portfolio of Russian photographer Alina Lankina and came across a nice photo of white roses in a dark green scheme. Unlike some of her more complex arrangements, it was not only appealing but also something I thought could be emulated in CG in a relatively short time. I didn’t quite end with the same shot, but as an exercise in floral modeling, it was worth the effort and I’m reasonably happy with it. The scene is a five-minute setup with a couple of older props and some fabric simulation. Curious what you all make of it.
Below a clay render and a wireframe.