Free Mat Test Scene

Matscene

As promised, here is the material testing scene I used for my recent Materialism tutorial.

It is a very simple scene but it may be worth downloading nonetheless as the archive includes a very high-res, 90MB HDR map. I thought about downsampling it but the high resolution is actually necessary to generate the sharp, realistic reflections you need for this kind of test scene.

Hope you find some use for it. Download it here.

1. 3dwannab says:

I went to the trouble to see if this would work in the material editor preview and it did. I just converted it to a standard scene with two lights and a standard camera. It’s slower than the ordinary shader type in the material editor but much much better.

LINK for file here: https://www.sendspace.com/file/qstfog

The link is valid for 30days. So Bertrand maybe you could put a link in this post?

2. Pingback: Materials – Ground | Ciro Cardoso

3. Pingback: Materials – Ground | CC3archviz

4. Tomaszek says:

is there any reason you dont use the “Affect Color Selector” & “Affect Material Editor” at the LUT settings?

Best regards,
    Thomas

Why do you need it? The sphere is already UV-unwrapped. By stacking a UVW map on top of it, you will only break the coordinates. If you still want to tweak the UVs, add a UV-unwrap modifier and work in the editor.

6. Paul S says:

Bertrand,

I tried using a UVW map with the sphere but it isn’t working with any material I try, any reason for this? Everything I could think of hasn’t worked.

7. shawn says:

hey bertrand, i notice you have a linear workflow setup for this test scene but in the vray frame buffer you have the srgb button on even though you have enabled a 2,2 gamma in the color mapping rollout, in renders i found this to totally wash out my images. can you give us more insight into this setup

8. Esdrei says:

Wow, i just find out this blog and it is amazing, the level of detail you go in your pictures is increadible.
    I’ve been wanting to ask you, if you could be so nice and share the method you used to model the text into the geometry so nicly. It looks so slick.
    Thank you again for all your sharing info. Ill be sure to check out this blog regularly.

Hi Teofilo. Yes, the settings are little bit over the top. You could easily bring the render time down without sacrificing quality by tweaking a few things. I don’t care too much about the render time and I’m picky about accuracy so I often go for these slightly extreme settings.

10. Teófilo says:

Hello Bertrand,

First off all, thanks for this share.

I’m curious about the render settings… DO you use the settings that were included in this scene for production ?

I experimented to render it in one machine and it took 5min… that’s a huge render time for this type of scene.

(computer specs: dual xeon E5620 (2x quadcore 2.4 ghz) 26 gb ram)

Regards

Teófilo

11. tolis says:

The Materialism tuts are very usefull. If you have the time I would like to see glass,wood,concrete and plaster.

An off topic question: If you had the chance to buy a workstation today, what are the minimum obligatory specs?

ps. please keep on being such a huge inspiration!

Name: The solution with the two domes is only really needed for exteriors, where you will actually see the sky. This is rarely the case for interiors and if it is, the sky is generally completely washed out and overexposed. I would only use one Dome light for an interior.

13. Name * says:

Hi Bertand

I simply love you images. Your interiors is absolutely the best in the world..:-)

Could you share some advice to a basic interior setup.

I am using the “cgskies” in my renders with two domes (light and dome). I have followed the guide from cgskies.

But I am in my doubts about how to tweak these two domes in combination to get the perfect result.

Do you use other light sources than these two domes in your interior.?

Kind regards

From a truly huge fan..

Martin

14. luca says:

can I ask you which 3D mouse model do u use?
    I m tryinh to buy one but really would like to know your experience
    with the one u have …
    thx so much in advance
    luca

Hi Matteo. The camera is locked because that was the only way to make sure it wouldn’t move (I use a 3D Mouse and they have a tendency to make cameras loose their positions between shots). The Maxwell parameters may be activated because I have Maxwell installed on my system.

16. matteo says:

Tks for shaing Bertrand.Can I ask you a question?
    I opened your scene, but why the camera is locked? and also there are maxwell parameters activated that I dont find if I create a new physical camera.
    Thanks in advance and of course thanks for your fantastic images, great source of inspiration :)

Sorry I took so long to reply guys,

Martin: I’d be curious to see if you manage to use it as the standard matball. Let me know what you come up with.

Slavv: Last time I checked the scene seemed to download fine. are you still having trouble?

MCGI Paco: De nada! I was in Mexico city this year for the first time. Awesome, and I love the food!

tOm: Yes, I did the HDR myself. And you are completely right. The WB was too pink. I’ve corrected it too in the meantime. Well spotted.

Jakub Čech: I never really have problems with burnouts, but I approach these as I would in photography. If you are going to point your camera straight at the sky you will burn your image to death unless you dramatically lower the exposure, which would make the rest of the image very dark – just like in real life. The solution there could be to tonemap 32-bit .exr in Photoshop to get the sky details back – like you would by merging photographs at different exposures to get a tonemapped HDR. Or you could play in Photoshop with the direct light and gi passes of Vray to lower the highlights while maintaining the midtones.

Ronen: I often have completely different results in RT and in Vray if I lower the gamme in my HDR map. I think it has to do with the way I approach LWF. I’m now testing different linear workflows to see if I can solve the problem.

18. Hi Bertrand, thanks a lot for this scene will give it a go in VRAY RT as well :)
    in fact, if i remeber correctly, there is a way to use a particular scene in max as a source for render boxes in material editor…so ill try to optimize this scene for that purpose.
    Cheers, martin

19. nicolas_nqn says:

Thank You so much for this!!!!, your material Tutorial is the best so far, finger prints?? hahaha A M A Z I N G, they look amazing, make more tuts on materials and T H A N K Y O U !!!!

20. Slavv says:

Hello
    Your site is really, invaluable source of information.
    The idea of sharing the scene with material is also great,but it seems to be problem with downloadnig the file from turbosquid,is says – An error occurred during the processing of your request – tried many times with no effect :(
    Thanks in advance

21. tOm says:

Hello Bertrand,

Did you do the HDRmap by yourself ?
    I just had to slightly change the camera’s white balance color to give a more natural look to the render and, now, it’s perfectly fine for materials testing purposes, thank you a lot.

22. Pingback: Free material test scene by Bertrand Benoit