Eames Photoshoot

Here is a short series of images I’d been keeping under wraps. My original idea was to create small tutorials focused on the various materials used in the scene and to release these together with the images. However, since Australian online decoration magazine EST has done me the honour of publishing a feature on these, I thought I would not hold on to them any longer. Which doesn’t mean I’ve given up on the tuts. On the contrary. I will be publishing them in the next few weeks. So if you’re into vintage plastic, stained wood or greasy chrome, watch this space.

A few words on the images. The feature image does not actually belong in the series. It is a pretty litteral interpretation of a marketing photo in the Vitra catalogue (Vitra being the holder of the Eames licence for Europe). As for the rest, the interior was inspired by The Lab, a real-world photography studio in Copenhagen. It felt like the perfect place to showcase expensive vintage furniture. This, in turn, prompted me to model a few photographic props as entourage. And before anyone mentions it, yes, I know, these are not actually meant to be in the frame.

Regarding the chairs, they are not the most original choice, obviously. 3D models of the Eames series are not exactly in short supply. But since I needed them and since I prefer to do these things my way, I thought I would go for the whole series. The chairs are a combination of three shells (plastic; fibreglass and upholstered) and six bases (Wire; Wood; Rod; La Fonda; Stackable and Wheels).

As usual, you will find all the models in the warehouse.

Eames photoshoot

Eames photoshoot

Eames photoshoot

Eames photoshoot

Eames photoshoot

Eames photoshoot

Eames photoshoot

1. Mat wrote:

bertrand whether the map that is on the floor of white marble stone, or a scene once you will be able to buy the TS.?

2. rudy wrote:

The images are perfect, according to me this is what a render should look like.I have a question if I may ask,your materials are awesome and reflect the realism of the scene at the highest level.How do you create them? I really wanna know how you create these kinds of materials.I’m still learning architecure vizualisation and creating realistic materials is the main problem I encounter everyday.A tip from a expert like you would really help.Thanks again.

3. Gonzalo wrote:

Hello bertrand , really inspiering work, if its not much to ask, what do you use as reference for modelling your furniture? , maybe blueprints pr fotos? . Do you have some web page links for this ?

thankyou if you can share this info.

Sorry for my english

gonzalo

4. Studio2a 3d wrote:

Man, lighting is sick as usual. When are you gonna do some HDRI lighting tutorials?

5. gudy herder wrote:

I love your work even if you give me the feeling that we stylists will run out of jobs with guys like you :-) just kidding! Awesome quality!

6. Miguel wrote:

Hi Bertrand! Maybe you have already seen this, if not, here is the link

A nice doc/bio of Charles and Ray Eames!

Thanks for sharing CG tips and tricks!

7. natali wrote:

hi great Bertrand
    i`m talking about this shadows !

is this a simple scene ? or it have a secret ? ( like decrease the secondary bounces multiplier )
    i`m not very tenderfoot ! this is one of my work :D

your shadows look like created by sun ! but you created this shadows with sky portal ( I think :D)
    how you can do that ?my sky portal shadow is very transparent . . .
    thank again to the best arch viz in all over the world

8. Tom Svilans wrote:

Yep! Still in the UK and keeping very busy. More into the fabrication side of 3d + architecture now (playing with robots and CNC cutters) and loving it.

Thanks guys.
    Hey Tom, still enjoying the UK?
    Norberto, these images almost all used different settings. For those using Brute Force, they took about 5-7 hours to render on an old twin Xeon @ 2.4.

10. Tom Svilans wrote:

Looking as good as ever, Bertrand! Great new site as well, by the way. Keep the beautiful work coming so we all have something to ogle at :)

11. Norberto wrote:

Amazing work as usual! I’m really looking forward to those tutorials you talked about.
    Would you mind telling us how long those renders take? (Not all of them of course, just one as a reference maybe) And what computers you use for the renders if it’s not too much to ask.

Congrats!

12. Unbefreaking believable. Well done Bertrand my friend. You really inspire me and I love your adoption of photographic techniques. Beautiful!

Hi Manu, I try to unwrap without any subdivs if I can get away with it. If turbosmooth then creates distortions, I try to hide my seams as well as I can. Only in rare instances do I unwrap subdivided geometry, which, in Max at least, can quickly bring the fastest computers to a crawl. Alternatively, you can try to unwrap in apps that have better UV tools, such as Blender or Modo.

14. manu wrote:

Lovely set, materials are superb as always. Eagerly waiting for your mat creation tut/tips.

Just curious, if you dont’ mind: at what level of turbosmooth iterations do you perform your unwrapping?

When dealing with small metal pieces, like those eames legs, and trying to achieve a vintage look, I often tend to avoid any kind of unwrapping by introducing imperfections in a procedural way, i.e. all kinds of elaborate combinations of different noises and other 3d maps. It’s not the same of course, can’t beat a good and simple scratch/dirt texture.

One thing I particularly like about these is the overall “lights out” feel they all have: empty studio, closed for the day.

Anyway, I could go on forever. You raise the bar sir.

All images except 5 and 6 use in-camera DOF. I generally prefer to use physical DOF because it is more accurate, it looks much nicer, it allows proper treatment of DOF seen through glass and in reflective surfaces, and most of the time (but not always) it ends up being not hugely expensive in terms of render time.

16. one wrote:

Hi Bertrand ! What kind of DOF do you use? Is this made by physical camera or fake, with DOF Pro & zdepth ? As i see its physical camera dof, i think you have already tried both of them, so why do you use phys cam ?

Hi Stephen. No, these were done in good old Vray.

18. Hi… were these done in Octane, by any chance..?

19. Patric wrote:

Just can’t wait to see that tutorial about the glass material, amazing!

Thanks, Chris. I don’t, even though I should.

Natali, I’m not sure I understand your question. What do you mean with sharp shadows exactly? Perhaps you could point me to an image.

21. Name * wrote:

When do you sleep? ;] Great work as always

Chris

22. natali wrote:

amazing work . . . I love your work . . .
    shadow is very sharp . . . how can i do that BB ?

Thanks Mark. Yes, either the chairs are floating or the guys who laid the wood floor were drunk!

24. Mark Hunter wrote:

I spot a floating chair :P Brilliant work

25. Johan wrote:

Lovely images. I’ve been to “the lab” recently and it look very much like your renders.

And I’m very much into stained wood and greasy chrome so looking forward to your material tutorials.

Kind regards

26. kopengo wrote:

Wiedermal herrlicih zu sehen! Beim Schreiben fällt mir grad auf, die zwei rechten Füße des roten letzten Stuhls versinken etwas im Boden. ;-)
    Freue mich auf das Material Making of!
    Grüße!

27. Aurélien wrote:

Impressive as always Bertrand !! Hope the tuto will be out soon !!:))

28. Juraj Talcik wrote:

I think your wooden floors are more amazing than this eames chair ;- ) Awesome work.