New Canaan

FeatureCanaan

New Canaan

These days, I only seem to produce unfinished personal pieces. This one is based on Hodgson House, a private home by Philip Johnson (I did promise some American flavour). It is located in New Canaan, Connecticut, just a stone’s throw from Johson’s Glass House (no joke intended). It is far less famous, though far more habitable.

Here are a few more shots:

New Canaan

New Canaan

Grande Prix Chairs - New Canaan
I’ve also uploaded a few more vintage chairs to the Warehouse, and given them the New Canaan treatment. In order of appearance: Arne Jacobsen’s Grand Prix Chair; Marcel Breuer’s Cesca Chair; Friso Kramer’s Result Chair.

Grand Prix Chair

Cesca Chair

Result Chair

1. Geza Kadas says:

How often do you use the “color curves correction” in the vray frame buffer ?
    I found it realy handy in the case of controling the burnouts but the problem is vray won`t take this into the
    calculation process (why would of course) .
    What book would you suggest to start learning about the technical side of photography?
    Thank you for the great visuals again ;)

2. Simon says:

Thanks so much for the info – i managed to achieve a similiar result by adding vraysun and a HDR in the environment slot override and in environment and effects. Worked great.
    One other thing, you mention that were able to get HDR images, does that mean you save your output as HDR? I usually save them as TIF… what do you recommend for best results and flexibility?

Thanks again – keep up the great work.

3. James says:

Well that little detail looks great. Really nice. The one to the rear-left of the pond is a tad off putting but then one in front of the stepping stone is spot on.

Simon: It is a matter of playing with the three basic settings: Ambient external light (generally HDR or VraySky), direct external light (generally VraySun or Max DirectLight) and camera exposure/aperture. Avoiding burnouts often involves dimming the direct light and increasing the indirect element or the exposure/aperture. Then again, any photographer would expect to have at least slightly burnt-out exteriors in these interior shots and would presumably try to get the details back by tweaking the RAW photos. So I don’t think burnt-out exteriors are that much of a problem. They make the output more realistic, and if you really want to flatten the image, remember you are luckier than a photographer as they only get RAW files and we get HDR images out of Vray, with a lot more dynamic range to play with in post.

James: Thanks. I know it sounds crazy but I actually modelled the bend in the water caused by the surface tension. Just an experiment to see whether I could make it credible. It’s very easy to lose the subtlety when doing such things but I was glad about how it worked, the fact that it is there but barely noticeable.

5. Simon says:

Amazing work – question if i may… with the internal scene, how did you manage to get great exposure on the interior and exterior? The external scenery for my internal scenes tend to overexposed (blown out) – would appreciate any help.

Thanks
    Simon

6. James says:

Wonderful work, Bertrand. Love the worn plasterboard effect you’ve got happening. One question if I may; Have you turned up the edges of your water geometry to obtain that beautiful highlight along the front of the stepping stones in the first image?

Cheers!

7. negroricardo says:

some one have to ask you … how do u iluminate this amezing images ??? how do you get this fantastic real ilumination ??? both questions are like in Hamlet : to be or not to be ?
    inspirating work (english is not my mothertongue …so sorry about mistakes, and with inspirating work i mean that you “rise the bar !!!”)

8. Niels says:

Wow! What a nice set of renders!

You are the reason why i keep trying to improve myself.
    You are such an inspiration source, for all of us!!

But i have a question: How on earth is it possible that your
    models (chairs/sofa’s) always are so full of details and looks so realitic?
    I hope, you are willing to learn us some tricks about that.

Keep us inspiring, and keep up this top notch work!

Thanks in advance, and greetings.

9. Material suggestion:
    i think your great textures strongly rely on perfectly mastered reflection properties of materials and layerinng materials….such as the iron beams in the chicago loft (vertex color as blend :)))) )…so perhaps things such as that
    of course the rest of the beauty is the patience while painting textures :)
    Do you use Mari?
    Thanks!!! :)

10. Excellent mood and lighting!
    Could u tell us about your computer specs and the time of a raw render to be produced?
    Waiting for a making of..

check your mail

11. Willem says:

My god Bertrand, your renders always look so realistic, i can’t believe it. How do you do this!? :) Great job again!

12. mart says:

amazing work bertrand. you inspire me to keep working hard and learning every day. i’d love to see a tutorial on how you did the grand prix chair image and the result chair image. the tiled stone floor looks especially great. is the lighting hdri?

13. arnaud says:

But for someone not having time I find that you still produce quite a bit, and it all comes in great quality even though it is not “finished”. You gave us this teaser picture a few days ago, now you come with a whole house, environment and interior, and you also produced this great set for the octane competition, which I assume was much less long to produce as I recognized most of the models.

It still means 3 great outputs in 2 months and a half. Not that bad eh !

Otherwise about material creation, what I personally would expect from it is more a process, a way of. Maybe not getting into something complicated implying SSS or anything fancy, but simply a nice concrete or wood.

Thanks for the feedback, guys.

Robert Lominski: You are a lucky man, Robert. Not only does it seem like a very pleasant place to live, but it must be so inspirational to live among such works of art.

Arnaud: That’s the thing! I don’t find the time. This has been in the making since late last year. Seriously, I gave up on it because I just couldn’t render it in a reasonable amount of time. There would be a lot more modelling to do on the interior too. Perhaps I will get back to it if I ever get a new machine.

hrvoje: I do quite a bit. No painting or adding elements, but quite a but of colour correction, glows, ca, curves, etc. I tend to use Magic Bullet Photolooks as it is one of the very few Photoshop filters to work in 32 bits.

izzet: It’s quite a philosophical question. But believe me, I never get bored. I should be so lucky!

Martin: Thanks man, thinking right now about some mat tuts I could put together. Any suggestion helps.

15. izzet says:

I know the more you learn the more you realize you need to learn but what is there for you to learn? Do you ever get bored? I don’t think anybody can get more realistic than these. What do you get motivated by for personal projects since everybody can guess your incentive for commercial projects? Does your technique differ between projects?
    Don’t get me wrong every work from you is picturesque but when one is at the top of his game some wait for a different approach, something like a trademark. I mean when someone sees it he should say “Ahhh! That’s Bertrand alright.”
    It sounded like criticism even though I tried hard for it not to sound like one. I am sure most people will disagree with this but hey it is my two cents.

16. hrvoje says:

This is superb visualisation!
    how much of postproduction you do on your renderings?
    hdri + vray sky lightning?

17. arnaud says:

You must be kidding !

Where do you find the time seriously ? Are you working 24 hours a day 7 days a week ? How long did you work on this piece ? It is completely absurd, you have a family, and beside that you find the time to handle commercial projects as well as personal projects.
    Tell us your secret .. cmon ! :p

18. Nice work. I am fortunate to work in New Canaan, and I get to see many of these houses on a regular basis! It is always a kick to just be driving down the street and stumble upon these amazing houses!

19. hossein says:

I am from Iran Hossein wanted to know what career I want

You do excellent work

I congratulate you

Thanks guys. This was one of these scenes that I just couldn’t render noise-free in a reasonable amount of time. I gave up in frustration – hence not finished.

Kopengo: all the plants were modelled by me in GrowFX. Yes, I both modelled and textured the chairs from scratch.

21. Glimps says:

As always, nothing less to expect from You.

It gets much more brighter in the eyes when I see Your work around.

Love Your puristic attitude (technical execution in the hoghes calibre)

Amazing!

P.S. nice to see You website upgraded!

Glimps

22. kopengo says:

simply great!! as always!
    Are that selfmade plants?
    And the chairs? You modelled them your self or are they downloaded
    and textured by you?