Chicago Loft (full scene)

FeatureLoft

Over the past few months, several people who had bought my furniture on Turbosquid asked whether I would consider putting a full scene up for sale.

So when I recently revisited an older piece, loosely based on a Chicago interior by Studio Gang Architects, I thought it would make a nice, self-contained interior scene to put up on Turbosquid, should anyone be interested.

The scene is ready-to-render in Vray 2.1 and will open in 3ds Max 2010 and upwards. There are two lighting schemes (dusk with interior electric lights and daylight overcast with weak sun) based on two separate layers.

Although unfurnished (it does sport a highly detailed kitchen) and somewhat optimised, the scene is highly detailed (more than 3m polys) and is not meant to be used on small rigs – Don’t even think of opening it on a 32bit system, or if you have less than 8GB of RAM.

It may sound a bit pricey compared to my other models, but given that it includes a full 3d environment, which I put up for sale a while ago at about the same price, believe me, it’s actually a bargain.

I’m currently working on a furnished version of the loft to showcase the scene’s potential, so stand by for more images shortly.

1. pern says:

Beautiful scene Bertrand, classy as always.

I wonder how did you make the white brick walls, specially the corners of them, displace map?

Thanks!

Adam: Sorry I missed your message. The stair was mapped using vertex colour as a mask, so no need to unwrap it (although I think I might have anyway – old Blender habits).

Brian: Yes, or not quite. I lit this one with a JPEG and a direct light.

3. Brian says:

Beautiful scene Bertrand…

So since you don’t use portals in the windows, you’ve lit this entirely using hdr/IBL??
    Has to be some pretty heavy rendertimes?? But the result speaks for itself

4. Adam says:

Hi, apologies if you’ve answered this elsewhere, but how much of this scene is unwrapped vs. no uvws? I’m interested to know whether parts of the black stairway and upper flooring structure for example – which look like they have a nicely mapped surface were unwrapped! All the best

Hi Chetib. I didn’t use light planes in the windows because this would make the lighting less realistic. But you are right in thinking it would most of the time speed up the render.

6. chetib says:

Hi bertrand,
    i bought your scene and i’m very happy to see a part of your works…
    One simple question : why you did not put vraylights plane in the openings ?

Sorry for my english !

Hi there. It must be a problem with your default Max settings. As I said, these CheckMate assets are tested by Turbosquid before they go live. Did you perhaps try to download the scene again? I can’t think why you should be having this problem and what you are describing is certainly not a normal behaviour. Did you make sure that you were rendering in the Vray Frame Buffer and also that you had the sRGB button in the VFB checked? That could be where this is coming from.

The sample renders were done using the default, out-of-the-box settings for this scene. Some of them had minor colour-correction for contrast. The scene is not using any third-party plugins or scripts apart from Vray.

Which version of Vray and Max are you using? I recommend using the latest Vray version, although 1.5 should work alright here as the scene does not use any 2.0-specific features.

8. archirost says:

Hi, it’s me again.
    I understood why i had black picture, the problem was in the settings of illumination. Multiplier was to low (1)
    Is it normal? and i was should increase camera’s iso for 10000. and after that i had picture.

and second question. what kind of plugin you used in this scene.
    I had missed ellements in render elements and in some diffuse map in materiale

and did you use for picture in example the same vray setings like in scene
    Thanks you