Vintage herringbone parquet tutorial and free (!) maps

FeatureParquet

A few people got back to me following my recent Tolix chair post to enquire about the parquet.

Normally, I would use the Floor Generator plugin from cg-source to create all sorts of parquets. But this won’t do for the herringbone type. Below is a step-by-step tutorial about how I created a slightly simplified version of the parquet you can see in the Tolix images (the actual parquet was slightly more complex but ended up being needlessly high-poly, making it impractical for most scenes). The images below should be self-explanatory, but do not hesitate to ask if anything isn’t clear.

You can go through the tutorial using your own timber plank maps or those from cg-source. For a true vintage look, you can purchase the plank textures I’m using here. For those of you who, like me, don’t want to go through the herringbone modelling phase every single time, this product includes very high-resolution, seamlessly tileable maps for entire parquets (as opposed to individual planks). These come in two flavours: herringbone and traditional english style.

Now the GOOD NEWS is that I’m also offering completely free versions of these parquet maps at 2K resolution (down from the 5k and 4k commercial ones). These won’t do for extreme close-ups but they should work in many situations. I’m also giving away the 3ds Max 2010 sample scene for this tutorial, which includes all the Vray 2 shaders for the different parquet flavours. You will find these freebies in the promotional download section of the product page here. Note that you need a TS account to download these and that you will need the free “MultiTexture” plugin and “Unique Material ID” scripts from cg-source in order to complete the tut and open the Max scene.

1. jtveclipse12 says:

Old topic, but you can do a herringbone with the floor generator. Just make your length size, 4 times the width + half the gap length. Adjust the other settings to what you prefer,

Make a copy -> Editable Poly -> Select Element -> Marquee Selection every other row -> Rotate 90 degrees based on local.

If you don’t like the gap, bevel, or extrude settings. You still have the original mesh to reload into the floor generator. You’ll just have to do the rotation again.

2. nico says:

Perhaps the problem is that you guys are trying to load one texture at a time? When pressing the load bitmaps or whatever in multitexture, you should select all the images at once and load them/press ok, not just one by one. Just a suggestion, not sure if that is the case.

Gengismat: I’m not sure I understand what is going on there. Perhaps you could email me a few screenshot of the settings and also a more detailed description about what’s not working. One thing: In Max, you will always see only one texture in the viewport, but when you render you should see all the randomly distributed textures you have loaded in Multitexture.

4. Gengismat says:

I have the same problem as Josh…

I’ve followed every single step but in the end the texture is everywhere the same.
    I can see the gamma/hue/saturation changes but it’s like the script doesn’t randomize the texture’s movement (it’s big enough, I’m sure the Unique Material ID script worked and I’ve checked “Material ID” under “Randomize by” inside the MultiTexture, so it’s strange…)

I Can’t figure out why exactly , but i think that the problem is in the material itself because i can’t see the different ID’s on the preview (Like in your screenshot), but just the color’s changes…
    Any advice?
    Thank you in advance!
    [and congratulations for your Blog :) !!! ]

5. Josh says:

I thought I had done that, but perhaps it had not worked when I did it last time.
    It is working now, Thanks for your help!

Josh, are you sure you assigned random material IDs to the individual planks. It’s a vital step, otherwise they will all be assigned the same texture.

7. Josh says:

Hi Bertrand
    Thanks heaps for creating this tutorial
    Unfortunately I have a problem when I get to the end, the material all comes out the same, multitexture does not seem to distribute the textures.
    Have you had this problem, or do you know of a solution to this?

8. ys kwon says:

Hi.

My name is ys kwon. I’m Korean University student majoring in design.
    ( I’m not good at English. Excuse me :-) )

I have question about Turbo Squid..
    If I buy some your modeling(like a chair), can I get your modeling file including ‘background 3d scene’??

for example ↓ http://files.turbosquid.com/Preview/Content_2010_09_28__15_53_50/ChairOnePivot6.jpga65a8346-556b-4e1f-9056-8ba1284b5d43Larger.jpg

does this file include floor&wall part?
    such as modeling or texture..

I waiting for your answering.
    although online, it is an honor to meet you.

9. Lugas says:

i’ve done this before with some editable poly from box, follow your instruction and did it well.
    now i do it again, with the same procedure, but i don’t get the same result. the problem is, the material won’t come out randomly, how many i put the texture files in multitexture.
    can you help me to solve this problem??

Hi Patrick. Yes, what wood essence you use does not matter. What matters is the quality of the photos you will be using to build the textures. It is quite difficult to get good pictures of shiny or reflective materials like certain types of parquets, though it can be remeded to an extent in photoshop.

11. patrick says:

ouahou ! veru interesting, do you think we can have good reseult with bambou flooring ? i will try to make some photo, i will try your software. Do you do some service on it ? can you the job .. feell free to contact us…

Hi Philippe,
    The Chicago Loft is the only full, ready-to-render scene I’m selling so far. You can find it here. Feel free to ask if you have more questions.

13. Jakub Gramczynski says:

Bertrand,

It’s great that you manage to indulge us with visualisation mastrpieces and in the same time provide us with priceless knowledge for free. Lucky us, your blog guests :)

Thank you very much.

Kind regards

14. Pedro says:

Color Correction isnt a plugin aswell. Is part of Vray Materials.

By the way, thanks Bertrand! Always good to learn with you!

Cheers~

15. Hossein M says:

thanks alot , your blog is a real source for learning , where can I download/buy color correction plugin ?