Chair attack

I confess to neglecting my blogging duties of late. But I haven’t been entirely idle, as evidenced by this small series of chairs, all of which have now landed in the warehouse. These include the wonderfully James-Bondesque 1964 Karuselli chair (below) by Yrjö Kukkapuro for Avarte; Jerszy Seymour’s 2004 Easy Chair (Magis); Chair One (in different flavours) by Konstantin Grcic, also for Magis; Hans Wegner’s PP512 lounge chair and PP58 dining chair for PP Møbler; and Tom Dixon’s Slab Chair.

For more images, and to see how the Karuselli looks in its humble polygonal nakedness, follow me inside.

1. arnaud wrote:

hi again ..

I tried to reproduce the karuselli as well but I have no luck with the displacement map. Maybe you have some tips, I read about it and everybody seems to get the same kind of issues though there’s no solution given that worked for me. I should say that Im working with mudbox but it shouldn’t matter as the exported displacement seems good.

My mesh is clean, no tri, minimal amount of poles, regular mesh. UVs are clean as well with minimal seams, no distortion .. I really tried during the whole process to be clean at each step, except my scult which is not really good ( Im not a pro sculpter :D ) everything is clean.

I tried subdivision, with either 32 and 16 bits, same for 2D mapping displacement, all done with a vraydisplacementmod modifier. I played with filtering, tight bounds, resolution edge length and so on.

Problems are different kind depending on the solution used but mostly :
    -artefacts next to seams
    -areas without displacement
    -forms totally different at some parts ( like the sewing line at the top of arms is totally distorded )

Finally, my best result I got was by using subdivision displacement in 16 bits and an edge length around 2 pixels or less. I checked twice overlapping faces overlapping uvs and so .. nothing over there. Im kind of loosing hope ^^.

Thanks Arnaud. These were sculpted in ZBrush and exported in a displacement map. The map can also be used in the bump channel if the model is not to large in the image.

3. arnaud wrote:

Hi,

Here is an excellent performance ! Great renders.
    But I wondered about how you handled the winkles on the karuselli chair. Is it out of a sculpt, or simply a painting in greyscales ?

4. the pilgrim wrote:

Hi!
    Love your work!
    What kind of post work do you do with your pictures? Do you render out renderelements and then comp them together in After Effects?
    I love the lens artifacts in your pictures. How do you achieve such nice and subtile bloom, glare and lens streaks?

5. I found your portfolio on evermotion tribeca’s tread. I was impressed by the quality of your render.
    Great job!

6. Hello I found your posting of the tribeca lofty on Evermotion. I was wondering if you would be interested to license it for a TV commercial? Thank you.

Thanks, Macker.
    The curtains were done with a simple Cloth modifier but using very high settings (causing a calculation time of several hours). The workflow is otherwise very basic.

Luis, that’s very nice of you. Thanks. Your work is absolutely amazing. I’ve been a fan for some time too.

8. I’ve been following your work for some time, I must confess they have become Increasingly refined. I took the liberty of placing a link on my blog

Thanks

9. Macker wrote:

The Tribeca House renders you’ve done look astonishingly good. One thing I’ve noticed is the fantastic curtains you’ve made – I’m assuming they’re done using reactor cloth? Any chance of a tutorial or a few quick tips because I’ve absolutely no idea how it works!

Thanks a lot Joe. There’s quite a bit of trial and error involved in everything I do so I doubt a video tutorial would be very enlightening. But I’ve been thinking of doing an old-fashioned tut. Just need to find a bit of time and the piece of furniture that would lend itself to this.

11. I really enjoy viewing and reading about your work. You always post great images. I was just curious to know if you have ever though about writing or creating a video tutorial regarding your technique when modeling furniture? I would be interested in hearing about your workflow. Thanks.

Joe

12. absolutely stunning piece of work!

13. Willem wrote:

So the wrinkles in the leather are rendered by means of displacement?

Great work man. You really know your V-Ray :) (or is it another renderer?)

Thanks Dave. I’ve been thinking about it. Still gotta find an appropriate model.

15. Dave Buckley wrote:

Lovely Bertrand.

You seriously need to start a series of modeling tutorials for us weaker modelers out there ;)

Thanks for the kind words, guys,

Jodes: the DOF is done in camera. It’s a slightly expensive process but it’s ok for stills. I only do PP DOF in animations, where you really need to be economical with render times. Of course, in-camera DOF looks vastly better. The floor is done with FloorGenerator from cg-source. The maps are cobbled together from Arroway wood textures or from cg-source textures and (in the Karuselli image) there’s a second layer on top, with a separate UV set, for a subtle dirt effect.

Pixelbox: I’m afraid the first image is also a render. It’s part of a bigger series of images I’m currently working on. More about these later.

Pixel: Thanks man. Yes, I love the Joe Colombo style too, though it’s quite difficult to place in a scene. You really need a wacky 1960s setting, and the fitting wallpaper, for so much leather and plastic to work well.

17. great stuff!!!
    the 1st image is not a rendering or is it?????

18. Jodes wrote:

beautiful rendering as usual!
    The depth of field youre using is pp? Witch plugin youre using for it?
    Can you also share some material settings? For excample the floor?
    Thank you in advanced!

19. Pixel wrote:

The chairs are wonderful ! I really like the Karsuelli, reminds me Jeo Columbo design. PP58 is great too, will buy those someday, if a client has enough taste to put those in a project ! 0_o